Happy Friday lovers! I have a treat for you today- a guest post from the lovely ladies of Fit.Fun.Femme!! This is a fantastic post that I definitely need to incorporate into my life! Enjoy and have a fabulous weekend!!
Hey Tiny N Fit readers! Sara and Natalie here from Fit.Fun.Femme and we’re super pumped to be guest posting today. Thanks so much for welcoming us into your home for the day. 🙂
We wanted to talk to you guys about something we are both passionate about – meditation. Yea – we know what you’re thinking. It’s really freaking hard to quiet your mind. If it were easy it wouldn’t be called practice, right? RIGHT!
To help convince you to power down your computer/phone and be still for 5 minutes a day we’re sharing some pretty awesome health benefits associated with meditation that you definitely want to know about.
Meditation can help reduce stress by lowering production of the stress-related chemical, cortisol. Pretty cool, huh?
Suffer from migraines, backache or chronic pain? Meditation can benefit you, too. A study showed that patients who meditated were able to reduce and sometimes eliminate symptoms just from doing meditation. FOR REAL!
Got a little anxiety in your life (who doesn’t?!) and want a way to combat it without pills? Meditation has been proven to decrease anxiety. SCORE!
So this is pretty much a no-brainer. Carve out 5 minutes in your day to dedicate to your well-being. We promise you won’t regret it.
Here are 5 Easy Ways to Incorporate Meditation into your Day:
1. Wake up 5 minutes early. Seriously – it’s not that hard. Sit on your floor (or yoga mat) in the middle of a room or against a wall if you need back support. Inhale and exhale deeply. Set your timer on your phone for 5 minutes and enjoy.
2. Walking the dog? Having a hard day? Driving in traffic? This is the perfect time to meditate. Focus on your breath and begin inhaling to a count of four and exhaling to a count of four. As thoughts come into your mind allow them to pass like clouds in the sky. If this is too difficult and your mind is racing (this is totally normal) say a mantra to yourself. Maybe “I am calm and steady” if you’re experiencing a lot of stress or “I am awesome and confident” if you have a presentation at work coming up. Tailor your mantra to suit your needs and you’ll see what a difference it can make.
3. If waking up early isn’t your thing (really, we understand) how about taking 5 minutes before bed? Sit upright in your bed propping yourself up with pillows. You can set a timer on your phone or forget the timer and see what happens. You’ll likely sleep like a baby after a little mind relaxing.
4. Try adding some music to your meditation practice. Turn your phone to Pandora or Spotify and search “meditation”. Find something that clicks with you and go to town.
5. Smile! Ok- we know that one sounded a little weird. Studies show that the act of smiling can actually make you happier. If you’re having a hard time meditating (mind is busy, back hurts, dog is barking) put a slight smile on your face. It might help you release whatever tension you’re holding on to so you can slip into serenity.
Know that there is no right or wrong way to meditate and there is no such thing as a bad meditation session. Just like we all have awesome runs and really crappy ones, meditation will be the same. The important part is that you did it!
Questions? Fire away! Want to learn more? Check out our list of recommended meditation reading below.
1. Meditation for the Love of It by Sally Kempton
2. How to Meditate by Pema Chodron
Wishing you a beautiful day – Sara & Natalie