Hello and happy Mardi Gras!
Ok, I don’t really care about Mardi Gras. Like, at all. So…Happy Tuesday!!
My Crossfit elements classmates and I were chatting last night about different boxes we tried before deciding on ours. Each had their own reasons; money for one, class times for another. For me it was a few things, but like how I applied to college (applied to only two-crazy right?), I only tried two different boxes’ intro class, even though there are about 5 boxes within driving distance (albeit the other 3 are a bit further). Here is what was important to me when choosing a box, and some things to consider if you’re looking to join a crossfit gym, too:
- Price: I know Crossfit is expensive, but I did not want to spend more than $200 a month. Luckily I have a LEO/Government discount which helps. (ps, most boxes have LEO, military, firefighter discount -just ask!)
- Location: I wanted a box that was easy to get to right after work. No more than 5 miles or 10 min drive with rush hour traffic. I don’t want to waste any more time after a long day of work and commuting- I want to get right to my workout!
- Classes: I want a variety of times I can attend class. This includes weekend classes. Also, many boxes have special Oly (Olympic lifting) classes as well as yoga classes that are included in your membership. Mine has both- sweet!
- Vibe: I wanted a non-judgmental, down to earth vibe. I had heard horror stories about super big egos of members at some boxes where they speak ‘crossfit’ and throw their crazy, intimidating crossfit wisdom in your face. I wanted to feel welcomed regardless of my skill level and wanted that in-this-together-feeling, accountability, and motivation from my fellow classmates!
- Music: While I love a variety of music, rock music are my favorite to listen to while I work out. My current box played some Alice in Chains during my intro class. I was hooked!
Your turn! What’s important to you when looking for a new gym?
Rock on lovers 🙂